Hi there. This is a list of five things that have inspired me, or taught me something new over the past month. Hopefully these little nuggets will inspire you too.
1. My podcast choice is: Letters From a Hopeful Creative: How do you Know When you are Ready to Take the Leap? In this episode Sara Tasker and Jen Carrington receive a letter from an illustrator who can't decide whether to leave her part time job.
2. Ted Talk: Do Schools Kill Creativity? Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.
3. This video on youtube: Veronika Lawlor, Caught in the Act. She is a reportage illustrator who happened to be there when the twin towers came down. She says, 'Drawing is an experience, and if you look at your paper you miss it.'
4. I read this book in a day, couldn't put it down: Clothes, Clothes, Clothes, Music, Music, Music, Boys, Boys, Boys by Viv Albertine the guitarist for the punk band the Slits.
'Albertine's words are naive and in-your-face. Above all they talk about what it is not to be a Typical Girl.’
‘All underarm hair and knickers showing' - this frank, feminist memoir from the Slits guitarist captures the importance of punk ' The Guardian.
5. My partner Gerry Turley is having an online private view of his whale prints this week. Join our newsletter to get your invite. The doors open at 9am on Thurs 4th Oct. Sign up for the newsletter below.